* 2018 RUNNERS ESSENTIAL GUIDE COMING SOON *
This community event is conducted by the West Australian Marathon Club Inc. with the proceeds being donated to Canteen. Our aim is to promote the sport of distance running. Participants have the option of the full Marathon or the Relay. The Relay option has been designed for those who want to be part of the great community event but feel 42.195km is too far. Results will be available on the day from the BlueChip Timing’s and WAMC website.
WA Marathon Club 9472 4833
Adult: WAMC member $95.00, non-member $110.00
(Minimum age for entrants is 18 years)
Teams of 2 to 4 – $120.00
The Relay change Points are as follows;
WAMC have partnered with Canteen to raise much needed funds for this worthwhile cause. To make a donation go straight here!
EXPO & BIB COLLECTION
The 2018 Perth Marathon Expo and Bib Collection will be held at the WAMC Clubrooms on Saturday, June 16, from 11:00am – 3:00pm.
All registered participants in the event will be recorded by an electronic timing system on crossing the finish line. Disposable timing chips are attached to the back of the race bib. Do not remove or peel the plastic timing devices from the race bib. Attach the race bib to the front of the body only, by pinning the bib in the holes at the four corners. Please make sure that the race bib is kept flat and not folded or crumpled. The race bib is allocated to the person nominated on the entry form and is non-transferable to another person. The race bib must remain in its issued form. IF YOU TURN UP WITHOUT YOUR RACE BIB (LOST OR LEFT HOME) THERE WILL BE A $10.00 SURCHARGE TO HAVE ANOTHER RACE BIB ISSUED.
WAMC events are generally conducted under IAAF rules and due to some recent incidents two rules in particular need to be highlighted. First, participants must only take drinks from the nominated drink station locations. Second, participants must not be paced (or accompanied) by non-participants either on foot or on bicycles. Breaches of any of these rules may lead to disqualification.
Aid Station as per map below
Aid stations will be on average every 2.5km along the course, at each station there will be water, Shotz re hydration drink and the option to have your own drinks available for collection.
The awards presentations will start at 1pm, this will include the lucky prizes draws. You must be present to be in the running for the lucky prize draw.
A marathon cutoff time of 6 hours 30 minutes applies. All participants to be off course by 2:00pm.
Equal awards to be given to both Male & Female.
1st Prize : $2000.00
2nd Prize: $1000.00
3rd Prize: $500.00
4th Prize: $250.00
5th Prize: $200.00 Mizuno Shoe Voucher
• The race organisers recommend that the marathon be attempted only after a period of regular running, culminated by about three months of training directed towards the marathon. This should include some long distances and perhaps some shorter races.
• Prior to the day ensure you are adequately hydrated (your urine should by clear). On the day of the race, continue to take on fluids before, during and after the race. Weigh yourself before a long training run and then again after, the difference in weight is the amount of fluid you have lost (1kg = 1 litre). This helps to determine how much you need to drink during the event.
• Do not wear new shoes or clothes, as they will tend to cause blisters and chaffing.
• If you have been unwell in the 48 hours prior to the event or if you are recovering from a viral infection, do not attempt to run. You must retire if you feel distressed, disorientated, or are asked to do so by an official.
• The race organisers recommend you seek medical advice to ensure that you are fit to compete in any such event and that this advice is obtained regularly and with the specific demands of the event in mind. If you answer YES to any of the following questions we strongly suggest that you seek medical approval prior to running the marathon:
1. Do you have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes or asthma?
2. Do you smoke?
3. Are you 15% over your ideal weight for height?
4. Have you been running for less than 1 year and are aged 35 years or over? The race organisers can provide a list of doctors who are able to confirm the participant’s fitness to compete in the event.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Entrants must not take pets on the run. Skateboards, roller-skates/rollerblades or similar devices, are strictly forbidden due to the risk of injury to participants. Be aware we may not have exclusive use of some of the shared paths. All runners will assemble in the advised start area by foot and obey Police and Officials’ directions whilst awaiting the official start.
To ensure your safety and that of everyone else in the race, the use of headphones or any musical device is strongly discouraged. Any use of headphones is a safety hazard since such use may compromise a participant’s ability to hear critical safety and/or directional instructions, especially instructions that may arise in an emergency situation.
There are no prizes for running prams and we request all those pushing running prams not to be competitive, start from the rear and enjoy the experience. Pushing through runners could lead to injuries.
Dehydration can be potentially lethal, particularly if you overextend yourself in hot and/or humid conditions. However, your body can still overheat even if climatic conditions are only moderate. Ensure you drink plenty of water throughout the day prior to the event and drink early in the event before you become thirsty. Stop to walk or at least slow down at drink stations to allow adequate rehydration. DO NOT compete if you have had diarrhoea within 48 hours prior to the event or are suffering from a viral infection or even feeling unwell.
REMEMBER to also drink plenty of water after the event. If you feel distressed, disorientated, dizzy, or excessively tired, SLOW down or rest for a while. If you do not improve WITHDRAW.
Pacers for Perth Marathon
As in previous years there will be Pacers associated through runners within WA Marathon Club. No need to register, just look for the pacers at the start line with the singlets below and balloons. Pacers will be available for sub 3.00 hours, sub 3.30 hours, sub 4.00 hours and sub 4.30 hours. All pacers will run an even pace throughout the journey.